Wednesday, May 23, 2012

getting warmer

via instagram (grey_garden)

I have been on a sorbet-making bender recently, mostly due to the fact that we committed ourselves to a flat of strawberries over the weekend. They are so simple to make and a great way to use up fruit that might be a bit too ripe to eat plain. I made up these two "recipes" on a whim...they're both just a combination of fruit, booze, sugar/honey, and acid. Neither are especially ground breaking or creative, but they are seriously delicious.

Strawberry-Balsamic Sorbet
1 quart local* strawberries, hulled and halved or quartered
3/4 c. sugar (adjust to taste)
1-2 tbsp balsamic vinegar (adjust to taste)
1-2 tbsp tequila or vodka, or whatever you have on hand.

Combine strawberries, sugar, and balsamic vinegar. Let macerate at room temperature for 10-15 minutes. Puree in blender until smooth. Pour the liquid through a strainer to get all the seeds out (you could skip this step if you wanted). Add booze and stir. Chill for 30 minutes. Process in ice cream maker** for 30 minutes or until liquid achieves sorbet-like consistency.  Freeze for another 30 minutes.

Mango-Lemon-Coconut Cream Sorbet
3 ataulfo mangos, peeled, pitted, and chopped
1 can of coconut cream (coconut milk would probably work just as well. i used the cream because it was the only thing we had in the pantry)
honey (to taste)
zest of 1 lemon
juice of 1/2 lemon
1-2 tbsp tequila or vodka, or whatever you have on hand

Combine mangoes, coconut cream, and honey. Puree in blender until smooth. Add lemon zest, juice, and booze. Stir. Chill for 30 minutes. Process in ice cream maker for 30 minutes or until liquid achieves sorbet-like consistency. Freeze for another 30 minutes.

* I don't mean to sound like a food snob about this, but I don't think supermarket strawberries would yield the same strong strawberry flavor that local ones would.

** Like many people, I try not to buy single-purpose kitchen gadgets, especially those that take up a lot of space, so an ice cream maker is exactly the the type of thing I'd shy away from. But I get so much use out of my ice cream maker that I absolutely do not regret the purchase. I got this model a few years ago because it was relatively less expensive than the other options. It has held up very well. 

15 comments:

  1. looks sooo good! i've actually been thinking about finally investing in an ice cream maker for our restaurant because i want to have ice cream socials every sunday this summer! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that is a really good idea! sounds like it would be a really fun event!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've inspired me to get out the ice cream maker! That mango sorbet looks especially delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! It's supposed to be close to 90 this weekend. I'll definitely be churning some more frozen treats then!

      Delete
  4. Both sound absolutely yummy. Do you think you think they'd work without the alcohol?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! But the texture will be different. I think the main purpose of the alcohol is to help prevent the sorbet from becoming rock hard.

      Delete
  5. That mango lemon coconut cream one - oh lord. It sounds heavenly. And I agree with you about the strawberries - or any produce. Supermarket produce is blah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The coconut cream is so rich that it almost doesn't taste like sorbet. I bet you could use it as a base for a lot of other "creamier" ice cream/sorbet recipes.

      Ugh god, don't even get me started on supermarket produce. I'm really looking forward to summer produce!

      Delete
  6. I'm so jealous you have an ice cream maker where you live.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made the mango sorbet last night with coconut milk. It was delicious! You are a genius!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome!! I'm so glad you liked it!

      Delete
  8. mmmm...local strawberries are the best! i'm also looking forward to ontario peach season.

    ReplyDelete
  9. tried the mango coconut one and it was awesome! also, raj made a rasberry basil version with berries from our CSA and it was fantastic. thanks for inspiring our adventures in sorbet making!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you liked it!! The raspberry basil sounds amazing! I'm going to try that out as soon as I get my hands on some rasps. I like herby sorbets and have been thinking about trying a lemon basil or lemon thyme combo.

      Delete